The benefits of heated yoga:
Glowing skin, toned muscles, weight loss, detoxification, better immunity, better moods, better focus, better sleep patterns, better flexibility, less chronic pain, less stress, less depression are only some of the benefits of this practice.
No wonder Yoga has taken the world by storm with it’s “mind, body and relaxation” benefits. With the likes of celebrities like David Beckham, Jennifer Anniston, Gwyneth Paltrow and Charlize Theron all swearing by this ancient practice and its “all round” effect.
But what happens when the heat gets turned up?
Here are 10 benefits of heated YOGA and why to opt for a heated Studio near you this winter:
- Cleansing and detoxifying the body:The more you sweat, the more toxins you release. If toxins don’t get released they can be detrimental to our health by interfering with our normal physiology and bodily functions. Causing gout, allergies, headaches, low energy, depression, skin issues etc.
- Increasing flexibility: Warm muscle readily stretch more deeply, which aids in better flexibility.
- Relieving chronic pain: A combination of the heat and certain yoga postures can ease pain such as arthritis, joint aches, knee injuries and back pain.
- Assisting with weight loss: Hot Yoga increases heart rate, boosts the metabolism, improves digestion and stabilizes ones appetite.
Practicing yoga in a heated room increases your pulse rate and metabolism, allowing your blood vessels to become more flexible and it makes your body burn some major calories! During a heated class, one can burn as many as 2500kj in a session.
Increasing your core body temperature through heated classes also helps you burn fat more easily.
- Menteal clarity: Hot Yoga promotes mental concentration and strength due to the intensity of the heat.
You will feel lighter, happier, sleep better and enjoy a more energetic and toned physic.
After regular practice, you will also have overall improved mental, emotional and physical health.
- Internal Warmth: Not only do heated yoga classes provide the external warmth from the heaters, but it also helps create that internal heat from the Yoga poses and increased circulation that you intern carry with you throughout your day.
- Yoga Helps You Stay Healthy: Studies have shown that the postures used in hot yoga, alongside the heat, assist in stimulating the thymus gland – the part of the body which improves the proper functioning of your immune system. It is also proven that exercise leads to a healthier body.
8. Connectivity: Staying connected to like minded people in a healthy environment, out of the comfort of the winter hibernation have proven to have a positive effect on the mood.
9. Glowing skin: Board-certified dermatologist, Leslie Caudill, M.D., says, “With increased heat and sweating, hot yoga opens up the pores and allows impurities to be removed from the skin. The humidity adds moisture which maintains the skin’s hydration status giving it that natural glow. The exercise itself increases circulation in the body. By increasing circulation, you increase oxygen delivery which leads to better skin health and better appearance of the skin.”. Achieve a more efficient and effective workout in less time- just being in the heat is a physical benefit. It’s heating your body from the outside in. As you’re moving through the practice, you’re heating your body from the inside out. It gets your muscles ready faster to stretch and work.
10. Deepen mindfulness: Exercise helps to develop not only physical strength but also mental and emotional strength.
Exercising in a heated room requires a deep level of concentration, one in which the world outside has to dissolve so that your undivided attention is brought to your breath and your body. In that space, the mind can begin to tune out to find the present moment. The heat also benefits the lungs with a lung expansion of 50% in a heated class , where a regular yoga class used only 35-40% of total lung capacity.
Our tips for a healthy heated practice:
Stay hydrated: Drink at least 3l of water when practicing heated yoga as you will sweat out toxins.
Stay warm: Take warm clothes for after the class and during savasana.
Go on an empty stomach: Don’t eat a big meal at least 2h before yoga. If you have low blood pressure , a fruit should do the trick.
Don’t over stretch: The heat allows your body to push yourself more, be mindful and connected to what feels right.
Listen to your body: Back off if anything gets to much and you feel dizzy or light headed. There is no competition in Yoga. Everyone has a different body compositions, flexibility and fitness levels.
Breath: take deep breaths, this will calm the central nervous system, regulate your heart rate and keeps you grounded.
Consult your doctor: If you are suffering from high blood pressure, have heart conditions or are pregnant.
What style of Yoga to choose?
Easy vinyasa :
Roxy offers a deep, slow restorative vinyasa flow in a heated room to stretch and relax after a day of work. All fitness levels welcome.
Energetic power flow:
If you’re less of a yogi and more of a fitness freak, Roxy teaches a power yoga class that combines both.
It integrates yoga with strength training and cardio which forms a full body workout in a relaxed manner with restorative yoga inbetween poses. She also adds her renown core session.
“I try to hit all of the major parts of the body in a high intensity interval style “flow” for a real cardio blast, which really gets your heart rate up.” says Roxy.
Contact greenleafvitality today for more info.
Article written by yoga teacher and owner of greenleafvitality: Roxy Louw
Would you like yoga to be a regular part of your life but just don’t know where to start?Nervous to try it out in the fear of ‘standing out’?Want to get the proper alignment from day 1?
Feel like you would like to start and grow with other beginners, just like you?
Our Beginner Workshop has been designed to teach you the fundamentals of yoga at a moderate pace over 3 classes. Thereafter you get an extra class at the studio to fall into.
Perfect for setting the foundation and confidence to comfortably join our regular classes afterwards.
Over the workshop you will learn body and mind awareness, relaxing techniques while building strength, become flexible and working up a sweat.
The workshop will focus on alignment and breathing, basic postures and stretches, balancing and strengthening poses, and relaxation techniques.
You should consider the Beginner Workshop if you are:
• New to Yoga.
• Not done yoga for years and need a refresher.
• Attended a class at the gym or somewhere but would like to slow down and learn from the ground up.
• Attended a class before but didn’t continue.
• New to yoga and enjoying it but feel lost in the classes.
• A runner or sports person who would like to “loosen up”.
• Keen to find a new form of exercise that gives you a full body workout with the bonus of relaxation.
The 4 classes will take place on:
Evening workshop as follows:
Mon 01 APRIL @6:30pm
Mon 8 APRIL @6:30pm
Mon 15 APRIL @6:30pm
Extra class for the month of April.
MON 13 May @ 6:30pm
MON 20 May @ 6:30pm
MON 27 May @ 6:30pm
Extra class for the month of June.
The studio on Oxford street, parking and entrance at Serendipity in the evening, image below.
Morning entrance through “soet” or “arabesque”.
R590 per person (full workshop) or R1050 for two (full workshop).
email: email@example.com for more info.
EFT with your Name as reference to confirm your spot:
Or Pay Now:
Some benefits of YOGA:
“The relaxation techniques incorporated in yoga can lessen chronic pain, such as lower back pain, arthritis, headaches and carpal tunnel syndrome,” explains Dr. Nevins. “Yoga can also lower blood pressure and reduce insomnia.”
Some Physical benefits of yoga include:
• Increased flexibility
• Increased muscle strength and tone
• Improved respiration, energy and vitality
• Maintaining a balanced metabolism
• Weight reduction
• Cardio and circulatory Health
• Improved athletic performance
• Protection from injury
What some regular yogis say:
“Roxy is an amazing teacher, her class was fun, high-paced and relaxing all in one. Def built up a sweat and had a great workout. Will be back, thank you for the great energy”
“It’s simply addictive – Roxy’s one on one attention & friendly nature coupled with the heated class and great music make it a class worth returning to.”
“This studio and atmosphere gave me a new born love for Yoga! Roxy is an amazing instructor and her love of Yoga really shows in her classes! 10/10 for my personal favourite Yoga spot in CT!”
“What a treat… what a pleasure. I’ve been loving my new journey with YOGA and what a wonderful teacher Roxy is..Thank you. Namaste“
“So here I am at the very first Yoga class of my life. Super nervous and thinking to myself what have I gotten myself into….”I am not flexible and everybody is going to see this.” I love getting a proper gym session – grid and boot camp classes. How will a relaxing Yoga class help to get rid of stress? Was I in for a surprise. It is perfect for beginners and those who do Yoga on a regular basis. The techniques are carefully shown and explained. You stretch until you feel you can’t anymore. This is a place to go to where no one will judge you!!!!!! I was so relaxed after the very first class. Going back for more…….”
Kindly fill out the confidential client form for enquiry or to book a detox package:
This diet is custom to your needs, allow 3-5 days for the diet.